Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AES output routing

Here's another one for Howy,

Been experimenting with AES ouputs on the maxx and was a bit puzzled as to how they work. A colleague pointed out to me that they are not direct outs of the AES input pairs but rather they are direct outs of the card tracks 1-4 and the l/r bus. The manual does not mention a thing about this and this is mega confusing.

so a) can a section be included in the manual so we don't need to sit there soldering cables and experimenting to figure out how the hell things are being routed.
    and b) Howy, would it at all be possible to just have a menu where you can assign the 1-4 AES outputs to any input without it affecting the card tracks ? I can see many situations where you want some specific things sending to camera that might not coincide with how post production want their card tracks ordered etc ... it would add a great deal of flexibility to the maxx in my opinion.

Kind regards,

Johan Maertens, AMPS

+1 for a aes routing page to aes out..

Comment

better assignment control over the AES outputs would be a real benefit to folks using that feature set on the MAXX. An extra page, or squeezing it in on the bus assignment/ outputs page both seem like a workable solution. Of course this assumes the routing is assignable via software. Based upon how the rest of the Zaxcom gear is routed, I suspect software routing is possible... just a guess.

Comment

So other than the fact that we need more flexible routing options for the AES pairs rather than them being dedicated to fixed card tracks (at least that is the assumption for now, still no definite confirmation from zaxcom on here) I have come up with a simple idea for a software update. Was in the shower earlier and was pondering over things as you do, and had a bit of a eureka moment. What if instead of all this virtual fader malarkey that is a pain to use and I can see no relevance for unless it would be for the enabled 5/6 inputs. What if we just had the 4 hardware faders dedicated to the 4 analog inputs and then by the simple press of an assigned button we could then switch to the AES inputs and their trims and just go between them. Sort of like the virtual fader screen works, but instead of having to shuffle through your inputs you'd have em straight under your fingers. Doesn't that make a lot more sense ? If you're going to be busy accessing the virtual faders you won't be mixing the analogs while you're tweaking the virtuals anyway would ya ? I appreciate what zaxcom has tried to do in the interest of flexibility with the whole routing matrix for the faders, but I think it's over the top ... does anyone really assign their hardware faders to anything other than the analog inputs out of any other reason than necessity on account of the virtual fader limitations (and by that I mean it taking too long to access them when mixing on the fly) ? This could make the Maxx so much more user friendly and an absolute beast of a unit .... Any comments ? sidenotes ?

Comment

hmmm, I think I may have found a flaw in my reasoning. If the physical faders on the maxx would be set to a specific setting for the analog inputs, you couldn't just toggle between them and aes inputs without the levels jumping ... back to the drawing board ?

Comment

Update on the DB15 / DE15 connector conundrum ... All quiet on the zaxcom front about this, so I decided to wire up some custom cables to figure this out through trial and error as there is absolutely zero info in the Maxx manual on the source of the AES outputs other than 1-4. Well, regretfully it turns out that this is a completely useless feature for those who need to provide 4 AES tracks to camera. Turns out they are not even connected to card tracks (this would have been a PITA but at least we'd have been able to route something specific to those tracks) ... what they are is just an AES version of the pre fader analog signal on faders 1-4. So if you were thinking of sending ISO tracks to camera, you can only send ISO's from your analog inputs over AES. No routing options at all ! This is a serious shortcoming and to me a deal breaker, so unless there is some commitment from zaxcom to fix this or create a way or routing any of the inputs (I use a combination of AES and analog inputs) to the outputs, then that's my Maxx up for sale after I finish my next job.

Comment

Working...
            X